Sunday, April 1, 2012

blurred lines

Sometimes, it is so hard to find the lines in life, especially when they are so blurred.  As Christians, we are called to live lives of simplicity.  Until a few years ago, that was something I completely ignored - all my friends had nice things, so I did too.  I wish I could say that things have changed, but I think they have just heightened.  Having the right jeans has turned into having the right car which has turned into having the right vacation destinations, the most prestigious schools, and the list goes on.  American culture has taught us, since day one, that we are to live for ourselves - the American dream is the goal, right?  Um...no.  Simplicity means going against all of that - the nicest cars, schools, trips, all of it.  In a country where "keeping up with the Joneses" has become a way of life for so many (perpetuating social stratification), how do you step out of that?  How do you completely ignore the ways of the world?  How do you make wealth and "stuff" not central to life when that is exactly what the culture tells you to do?  I wish I had an answer.  I really wish I knew.

All I know is that Mark 10:25 says that, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."  Its pretty obvious that being rich is not the goal.  I wish it were easier to live by that and to remember that such is the case.  Its been so heavy on my heart lately as people ask, time and time again, "what do you want to do when you graduate?"  When I respond by saying that I would eventually like to do social work the response usually is something along the lines of, "Oh.  Better find a rich husband!" or, "You know they don't make very much money right?"  Yes, thank you; I am aware.  I don't care.  Or at least, I try not to care.


No comments:

Post a Comment