Friday, October 19, 2012

drip drop

Here I sit, in the science building in between classes, watching almost microscopic raindrops lay mist on all who come in their way, trying to decide if I really do want Starbucks bad enough to make the trek to my car and the 2-mile drive to the coffee shop.  Somehow, somewhere along the road, I have slunk back into comfort.  But as I watch the mist in the air, I can think of nothing but monsoon season in India.  The heavy raindrops that could flood streets in a matter of minutes have somehow managed to flood my mind.  There is something so beautiful about the monsoon: it is completely unpredictable.  You never know when the rains will hit, or for how long they will last.  The only thing you really can know is that they will affect your day.  You will be stuck and stranded.  But in that moment of the first monsoon rain that I ever experienced, I discovered that in the moment of finding out that the rains were coming down, you have the choice to be nothing but inconvenienced by the rain, and wait for the streets to become clear and accessible  or you can simply be thankful for the rain and embrace the spontaneity of the rain with open arms and a smile.  Because, who doesn't like dancing in the rain?  Life is so much like the rain.  There is always going to be rain, but getting lost in the beauty of the rain can make all the difference.   Its so easy to be comfortable; our culture has taught us that fighting for comfort is of utmost importance.  But when we are accustomed to comfort and the monsoon rains begin to fall, they throw us off track and keep us off of the roads.  So why not take time to rejoice in the rains as well as the sunshine?

"When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider:  God has made one as well as the other.  Therefore, a man cannot discover anything about his future." (Ecclesiases 7:14)

In the sun, and the rain, I will realize that I am blessed.  I choose joy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment